There are so many beauty myth’s that are passed down from generation to generation that we hear, and are not exactly true; but for some reason we keep doing or believing these things. I guess it’s because so many of us hear it time and time again, it would seem that it must be true right? Well wrong! Here are the top ten.
1. Shaving does not make you grow more hair, nor thicker or darker hair.-Okay so think about it. How would that even be possible? You are cutting hair on your skin’s surface, not penetrating your skin and damaging the follicle. The hair appears thicker and darker because you are cutting the hair bluntly. Because it appears thicker and darker, that makes it also seem like there’s more hair growing as well.
2. You cannot shrink your pores-I know, I know, there’s a ton of ads promoting products that claim to do so. Well it’s not true. There’s no way to change the size of your pores. You can make them appear smaller to the eye for a temporary effect, but that about it. Pores do not actually shrink and products basically just fill them in like putty temporarily.
3. Dark circles are not caused by lack of sleep-That’s right! You know what you can do to prevent dark circles? NOTHING. It’s genetic. You’re either prone to them or you’re not. It’s that simple. Lack of sleep may cause a little puffiness, but again not the circles.
4. Tweezing a Grey hair does not cause more to grow-It doesn’t I promise! It’s probably not a good idea to do it and it kinda hurts but it will not cause more growth. If you’re still worried then just trim it.
5. Chocolate and greasy foods to not cause breakouts-Nope, they don’t. You shouldn’t be eating those things anyway right? If you do though; instead of worrying about two things you’ll only have to worry about one. Your health.
6. Split ends cannot be mended with products-Yes ladies it’s just marketing. The only way to mend those ends is to cut them off!
7. Crossing your legs does not cause varicose or spider veins-Another problem that’s mostly hereditary too. Sorry ladies. Being on your feet all day can slightly cause them as well but it’s pretty much your genetics.
8. Stress does not cause Grey hair-What?! Yes it’s true! Like most of our “problems,” Grey hair is cause by genetics and again of course.
9. You cannot remove your cellulite-That’s what I said. You can use all the lotions and potions and laser treatments you want, but cellulite is here to stay. Fat or skinny most have women it and like everything else, it’s hereditary .So thank the one’s who you were before you.
10. DRINKING WATER DOES NOTHING FOR YOUR SKIN-This is the number one beauty myth of all. Even though it’s been said time and time again; people still believe this to be true. It’s not. Hey of course you should drink a lot of water, but getting good skin out of it will not happen. It fact your skin needs oil and that makes it healthy. Using sunscreen won’t hurt either.
Comment? Questions? I’m a licensed esthetician so just ask!